REALLY MISC DoItYourself STUFF

A Self-Clasping (say what?) Apron



More a tip than a project, this one's for those of us who although can tie an apron would be happier not having to (okay, I admit I use the cheap kind of aprons with strings that more often than not knot on me. And on occasion I have had to cut the damn things to get loose).

I use an apron a lot. I am not the big baker this might indicate. I get all wet when I do dishes and the apron saves my clothes from getting soaked (when it's very cold I just do them with a windbreaker on). Although it might be good coordination exercise to keep tying the apron behind my back I find it's a pleasure not to. This is my way out of it.

Note: this is not wise to do to an apron you treasure and intend to keep for years. Velcro does not usually last for more than a few months (fluff gets attached to it and wears it down).


What you need:

  1. apron
  2. 4 inch (10 cm) strip of sew-on Velcro*
  3. pen or pencil or 2 pins (for marking)
  4. scissors
  5. stapler

*optional: another Velcro strip of the same length for doubling (see step 4 below)


Step 1: Marking Place on Apron

Put on the apron. Pull the strings together behind your back to loosely close the apron. Mark the point where they meet on both strings (this is easier with the help of a glance in a mirror).


I am NOT huge. It's the pants.



Step 2: Placing Strips

Take the apron off and place it open on a table face down.

Open the Velcro strip. There should be one strip that is sort of pointier (the "hook" side) and one that is softer and hairier (the "loop" side).

The strips go on the apron strings. To place them: the center of the strip* (abrasive side up) goes on the marked meeting point.

*Since I'm right handed I find it easier to close the apron when the softer "loop" strip is on my right side (I found this out after doing the opposite). Hence I suggest putting the "loop" strip on the right and the "hook" strip on the left.


center of strip to mark



strip on apron string



Step 3: Stapling the Strips

Holding the strip in place, turn the apron string over and staple the apron string onto the strip.

Why from the apron side? Well, in my case the apron strings were narrower than the Velcro strips and if I did this the other way around I was likely to miss the apron strings.


staple from the apron side (so not to miss string)




Optional Step 4: Double-Siding the Velcro*

Open the second Velcro strip. Making sure you are attaching the same kinds of strips ("loop" to "loop" and "hook" to "hook") staple the strips, back to back (apron string between), onto the strips already on the apron.

*It's really convenient to have the Velcro double sided - this way the strings will clasp even if they get twisted.


strip to strip, back to back (abrasive side out)



There you go. No more knotting, oops tying, strings behind your back. Now all you have to do is throw the apron on and bring the strings together behind your back.


no more knots!


2 Comments:

  • and I thought I had a neat apron idea. well, here's an apron with built in gloves (I'd probably forget and frantically search around for gloves like I always do). really neat!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 PM, January 29, 2006  

  • and here's a cool apron blog. who would have thought aprons were cool?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM, February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home